My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Mark R

New engines for Monterey 296

I am replacing the engines and drives on my 2000 Monterey 296. I have ordered a pair of Volvo Penta VP 50 GXI with duo props as a replacement for the old carbureted ones. My question is this......... Having already paid and waited 6 weeks for delivery I am now told they don't know when they will be available and as an alternative I am being offered a pair of Mercruiser 383 MPI 's withe bravo 3 drives. The mercruisers push out an extra 100 hp each, will the boat be ok with the extra horsepower, and probably more importantly will they fit in the engine bay. The reason all this is critical is that I live in the middle east and will be having these engines shipped out. Return shipping could be a bit expensive!

Any help would be gratefully received. :)

Mark

The Volvo and Merc engines both start out as GM small blocks, so from a size point of view, they are the same and either one will fit in your engine bay. Were you planning on switching out the complete transom assemblies as well? You will have to, if you switch to Mercs as a Merc drive will not fit on a Volvo transom assembly. With respect to the extra HP, that is a big difference! I believe those 383s put out 375HP each. What was the maximum size engines the boat came with from the factory? I would call Monterey tech support in Florida, and see what they have to say about all that extra HP. (352) 528-2628

A few other issues you may have with the switch from Volvo to Merc... Will the Volvo shifters you have now work with the Merc engines? What about your boats engine wiring harnesses? Is the transom cutout shape and size you have now, the same for a Bravo transom assembly? The switch from one to the other could get very complicated and expensive, unless all of those are not an issue. These are questions you would want to ask the shop doing the work for you.

Curious as to what happenned to your existing engines and drives?

Thanks for your thoughts. Have decided to hold out for the replacement volvo's to be delivered instead of chancing the mercruisers. In answer to your question regarding the fate of the old engines, they are in reasonable shape but the drives were both totally corroded and had to be thrown away. Expect I will try and sell the engines for a few bucks.