My Monterey
Oban

Temp Guage Question for MOST

I have a 2007 180FS with a 4.3 L Volvo engine. My problem is that the temp guage chronically goes from telling what appears to be the right temp, to reading nothing (like when the engine is turned off). I have replaced the guage so I don't thinkit is that. I have no idea where the temp sending unit is, I have tried removing wires from some of the engine sensores I can see easily while the guage appears to be working, the guage does not respond to this removal so these are probably not the right sensors. I have brought the boat to the dealer and they never seem to be able to repeat the problem. Please give me some steps to go through to address this issue and please tell me where the senors(s) is that supplies the guage.

Thanks

Oban

Hello Oban,

Your best source of help is most likely the engine manufacturer: www.volvopenta.com (for your nearest authorized service center) or 757-436-5100 (in VA). The Volvo technician will be able to hook up your engine to his computer and read any error codes. That is also a good way to give the engine a preventative maintenance "check up".

Just in case- your gauges are manufactured by Faria and they do have a limited lifetime warranty. Contact info for warranty and trouble shooting is:

www.faria-instruments.com or 1-800-473-2742 (CT).

I there,

All engine's from mercruiser or volvo, they use sensors, that sensors send information to the engine eletronics and then send it to the gauge.

So almost all time the problem isn't the gauge but the sensors. You have temp sensors, rpm sensors, petrol sensors, etc...

Sensors for exemple in mercruiser are something like plastic with a wired jack connection, normally you can see them in your engine, just follow the wires.

To best know this issue as MOST already said you should go to the volvo dealer.

It's not a DIY job

In my mercruiser this weekend the rpm sensors goes off, so my engine don't run above 3000rpm and activate the GARDIEN, its a mercruiser defensive caution not to harm the engine.

I know it 's that sensor because i have my GPS connected to the engine and i recive all info in GPS with the codes off the problem if is any.