My Monterey
paullav

Drilling A Hole In The Transom of A 282

I have purchased a transom mount depth finder instead of replacing the factory installed, very hard to get to, through hull transducer that is under my port engine. The instructions on my new depth finder say to drill a 5/8 inch hole through the transom due to the large connector that plugs the transducer into the gauge even though the cable is only about 1/4 inch. Has anyone used a paddle bit to drill through the transom and if so, did it work ok ? Any suggestions as to the drilling and installation will be appreciated. Paul

I have purchased a transom mount depth finder instead of replacing the factory installed, very hard to get to, through hull transducer that is under my port engine. The instructions on my new depth finder say to drill a 5/8 inch hole through the transom due to the large connector that plugs the transducer into the gauge even though the cable is only about 1/4 inch. Has anyone used a paddle bit to drill through the transom and if so, did it work ok ? Any suggestions as to the drilling and installation will be appreciated. Paul

When I installed mine on my 322, I took out the stern light and filed a groove for the wire. Then I re-installed the light. Make sure you seal all mounting screws with 3M Marine 5200 so that water does not infiltrate into the wood of the transom. Dennis

make sure u making tape the area you will be drilling, it keeps the gell coat from chipping and always start drilling into the gelcoat, basically from the outsid in this also minimizes spintering.