My Monterey
argonaut

194FS or 214FS ... for watersports

Hi ... this is my first post so Hello.

I’m not new to boating, 30+ yrs of being an owner .. just sold my current boat, and looking for replacement but am new to Monterey.

I use my boat for in-shore towed sports - wakeboarding, kneeboard & SkySki .... all recreational only ... and had been looking at a few suitable contenders, when someone mentioned I should take a look at Monterey.
I had heard the name, but have never seen one of these on the water.
Partly due to fact that I am in the UK, and the sole dealer in Britain went bankrupt, there is a dealer in Ireland.

I was put in touch with a guy who has a four year old 214FS ... and did a 350 mile round trip to go take a spin out on the water with him.
I liked the build quality ... seemed fine, and the boat apart from a little sluggishness to get underway was fine on plane. (5.0L with 200 Hrs) I have an option to buy that from him.

Maybe a bit too big & heavy for my needs of a trailer boat.

However also have an option for only 10% more on a 12month old 194FS only done 5Hrs on engine .... now in current model range renamed as 204FS. However this is a 4.3 MPI ...........

Anybody have experience on how the 194FS performs with the 4.3L ? ......... I don’t need top end speed, but does have to have reasonable hole shot.

I also have a good deal offer on a new 184FS .. but concerned about lack of cockpit space ... it has bench seat fitted rather than jump seat

Not sure if it helps, but I've got a 2001 190LS with a I/O 5.3L that I slapped a Samson tower on and use it extensively for hydrofoiling (SkySki/AirChair) and have no complaints with it at all. Granted, I've never owned a bigger boat or a V-Drive (Malibu, Natique, etc), but it serves my purpose just fine.