My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
lloydbfl

Crusing RPM/Speed for 322 CR

We recently purchased our first cruiser! 2005 Monterey 322 with twin Volvo Penta DPXi (320hp ea). I have looked every where and cannot find the best cruise RPM/Speed. The previous/original owner said it was 3500rpm/29.5kts. It seems high and it loves to drink the fuel!! Much more costly to run than my pervious Sea-Pro 206 DC with 200hp Yamaha. :) However, we LOVE it! What a great boat and layout!

Previous owner's numbers sound correct. 3500 RPM is fine, no worries for cruise. FWIW, on an '03 322 with 2x5.7 ltr 280 hp volvos cruises at 3800 rpm..bout 35 mph.. burning 26 gph both motors per flo-scan..

Previous owner's numbers sound correct. 3500 RPM is fine, no worries for cruise. FWIW, on an '03 322 with 2x5.7 ltr 280 hp volvos cruises at 3800 rpm..bout 35 mph.. burning 26 gph both motors per flo-scan..

Thank you very much for your response!

We recently purchased our first cruiser! 2005 Monterey 322 with twin Volvo Penta DPXi (320hp ea). I have looked every where and cannot find the best cruise RPM/Speed. The previous/original owner said it was 3500rpm/29.5kts. It seems high and it loves to drink the fuel!! Much more costly to run than my pervious Sea-Pro 206 DC with 200hp Yamaha. :) However, we LOVE it! What a great boat and layout!

Brad, welcome to the Monterey family. My wife and I are new members as well. We also have a 322, a 2004 model and it is on the Chesapeake as well. Our marina is SkipJack Cove in Georgetown. We picked the 322 up in late September from Somers Point NJ and ran it down to the bay at the end of September. She only had 130 hour on her when we picked it up, and we now have 160 hours in less than a month. Ran to Baltimore once, several runs up to Chesapeake City, along with a few to Still Pond and Sand Island (right in your back yard).

We absolutely love the 322. The aft cabin sold it for us since we have a 5 boys, the younger three who head out with us frequently.

As for cruising speed, I happen to have the 5.7 280HP engines and I find that the best cruising speed lies between 3000 and 3500. I find I run around 3000-3100 (26 to 28kts) most of the time cruising as it just seems to be a little easier on the engines. Obviously, most of this running in September has been with the full canvass which must affect performance a bit overall.

Maybe we'll see you around the bay next summer. Headed down this weekend to winterize the boat.