My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
rmarshall301

Oil Pressure Alarm

Took boat out and only went half a mile and the alarm went off, oil pressure had jumped all the way to 80 (top of guage). Throttled back and it settled to 40, throttled up and it went off again and topped out at 80 again. Dropped it to idle speed and carefully brought it back in.

Boat has not been run much in the last year due to heavy work schedule, mostly parked. Should I have the oil and filter changed again? It probably only has 10-15 hours on it since the last oil change, and the engine is still only about 100 hrs new. Doesn't seem like sludge should be an issue with it this young. Does leaving it laid up for long periods cause oil to go bad? I live in Florida, so freezing temp are not an issue. Could the sensor have gone bad? How do I check it?

I'm puzzled.

Having an engine sitting for long periods of time is never good for them...they love to run.

Prior to putting the boat on the water after storing it is a good idea to change out all of the engine and outdrive fluids, check the filters for debris and generally give it a good "going over". With the oil pressure jumping up like that, it would be a good idea to have a certified Mercury or Volvo tech take a look at it.

An engine is only as good as your preventative maintenance schedule.