My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Hpdsgt49

Installing a windlass on 2006 270 CR

I just purchased a 2006 Monterey 270 CR and want to install a windlass, or should I say the WIFE demands I install a windlass.

I'd like to see pictures of one already installed either factory or owner installed. Not sure if it should go on the deck or in the

anchor locker. Thanks in advance. My email is hpdsgt49@yahoo.com

Rod

Hi Rod,

I bought a Lewmar V700 Vertical Windlass for $556.84 from www.WholesaleMarine.com . When we received it, it did not include the actual toggle switch (the box was clearly opened prior to shipping). So, after reading the details on the box carefully it was clear someone removed it… so, after talking ‘nicely’ to the sellers they sent us the dual direction toggle switch (LEW-0052519). So, make sure yours are included… Installing it, is trivial… wiring it after the fact is another story (why people don’t just get the windlass pre-wired blows my mind!). Also, apparently you must use marine grade wire (way more expensive I might add). The easiest (shortest) route is behind the skirt… bathroom… (starboard side). Also, make sure the wires run via the master on/off switch as well as circuit breaker (comes with the windlass as well). Lastly, make sure you install the windlass off center… since you want the rode to run as close as possible to the center line of the boat (checkout the install diagram before cutting the holes http://www.lewmar.com/cms/assets/1/literature/65001022%20iss2%20v700_english.pdf ). Btw, I was seriously impressed how think the wood was to cut through… major kudu’s to Monterey!

Also, make sure you get the right rode… I tried using my own rope, splicing in a chain (that seemed right per the included specs). However it doesn’t work since the chain links used by a windlass seems to be different type and gets stuck. We ended up buying a 1/2 x 150' with 10' Chain and rode from Wholesale Marine for $160.39. Personally I think the rode needs to be thicker, since it seems to loose grip if it’s not under strain…

As far as anchors go… (don’t make the mistake I made)… buy, the right type of anchor for a windlass. We bought a 16.5 lbs Danforth/Fluke Style Stainless Steel Anchor for $149.99 from www.WholesaleMarine.com . However, this type of achor don’t always drop (if you pulled it in real tight). If I ever do this again, I would install the chain counter (that way you know when its all the way up).

All in all we will never ever own a boat without a windlass again (did I mention underwater blue LEDS? ( http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=19018&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10577&classNum=11128) Seriously check it out while installing your windlass – unbelievable!).

Good luck installing it, you have my home email address… just send emails and I’ll help where possible.

Heinrich

PS: Rod I'll email you the original files since the files are to big to upload here.

post-16205-128611369963_thumb.jpg

post-16205-128611370564_thumb.jpg

post-16205-128611371376_thumb.jpg

post-16205-128611371997_thumb.jpg

post-16205-128611372634_thumb.jpg