My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Question for M.O.S.T.

On my 06 250 Cr, Quest Battery Switch, above the Main breaker and Windlass breaker is the following: "WARNING" When parallel switch is "ON" all batteries discharge at the same rate. After starting engines, return switch to the "OFF" position." Reading section 4 and section 7 of the Owner's manual I do not find mention of this "WARNING" nor find notice of its intent. I would like to know the proper sequence once engines have started, whether or not to turn the battery switch to off or leave said switch on.

Hello Alan,

That warning label is for the battery charging system (switches to the left of the label). If you are charging the batteries using the shorepower, the battery switch needs to be off. That warning label is there because often a boater has just had to use the parallel position to start the boat. It is a safety label.

Leave your battery switch ON while operating the boat- do not turn it off!

While trickle charging the batteries dockside, turn the battery switch to OFF. No matter what position the battery switch is in, the charging system will still charge the batteries but it is not good to leave the switch ON if the batteries are low or if you are leaving the boat.

Another note- do not change the positon of the battery switch while the engine is running. That can posssibly cause damage to the alternator.

M.O.S.T.

Thank you.

Alan :-)