My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
180FS in Nashville

2006 180FS (new to me) and power port install question

Hi there, I just sold my 20' pontoon and "upgraded" to a 2006 180FS. Here she is...

IMAG1720.jpg

Making the transition from pontoon to sport boat has been trying to say the least, but I'm hoping a few more outings will make it easier. Sure, I get where I'm going a lot faster, but that ride is a rough one. I'm glad I found this forum and will probably be spending quite a bit of time here.

So one of my first orders of business on this new craft is to install (2) 12v power ports; one in the helm and one in the glovebox next to the stereo. I have heard drilling/cutting into fiberglass is tricky. I have looked all over the net for info about this, but all the articles I find refer to drilling / cutting into areas not pertinent to my situation (i.e. installing cleats, etc.) I would like to see if anyone on this forum has installed a power port in their boat. If so...

1) Where did you install yours?

2) What tools did you use?

3) Was it as hard or risky as some people make it sound?

Since I only have a pic of the helm right now, I'll show you where I'm thinking of installing it...

IMAG1727a.jpg

Any thoughts and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Drilling fibreglass can be tricky...I was told to put a piece of masking tape over the area to be drilled and start the drill in reverse to "score" the fibreglass. Just a trick I was told me a fellow boater, and one that I have used.

Drilling fibreglass can be tricky...I was told to put a piece of masking tape over the area to be drilled and start the drill in reverse to "score" the fibreglass. Just a trick I was told me a fellow boater, and one that I have used.

I read that on another forum as well. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the 411.