My Monterey
At Ease

Water Pump

Brand new 260 SCR. Turned on the water pump breaker the other day to use the transom shower. While the shower worked water was also pumping out from a discharge at the rear. Once I turned off the shower the water pump stayed on and water continued to pump out of a rear discharge. The only thing I did different was remove the water fill cap and fill the tank. This is the first time this happened. My theory is the pump is not priming correctly. Am I correct and are there any suggestions?

Brand new 260 SCR. Turned on the water pump breaker the other day to use the transom shower. While the shower worked water was also pumping out from a discharge at the rear. Once I turned off the shower the water pump stayed on and water continued to pump out of a rear discharge. The only thing I did different was remove the water fill cap and fill the tank. This is the first time this happened. My theory is the pump is not priming correctly. Am I correct and are there any suggestions?

Hi,

If your transome shower was working correctly then your fresh water pump is priming correctly

Sounds like you have a water leak somewhere.

Which discharge was the water coming from? - check the Monterey owners manual. It has labelled pictures of the hull showing all of the discharges, vents etc.

How much water is in your bilge? If you have a leak of the freshwater system and it is going into your bilge, the automatic bilge pump could be operating.

Try shutting all the taps, showers etc. off and open your engine hatch so you can see in the bilge.

Turn on the water pump. You should be able to hear the pump running briefly to 'pressurise' the system and then stop.

If it doesn't stop, you have a big leak.

If it stops and starts, then you have a smaller leak

Regards