My Monterey
albionwiggina

New to me 180FS...need some advice

Purchased a 2005 180FS that has the stock 14 1/4x 21p prop and a stingray fin installed...not impressed so far with the performance as it is set up. Tach wasn't working correctly and think I got that working now. WOT RPM's seem low at 4300, lots of cavitation in hard turns and boat porpoises like crazy if I trim up at all.

Not sure where to start...what prop's are others running on the 180 FS?

Any others running a sting ray foil?

Anyone remove a foil? What do you do with the holes?

Any running Nauticus smart tabs?

Came from a Bayliner 175 where I found amazing performance improvements running a Hustler prop and Nauticus tabs...but I realize each hull is different.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a 2006 180FS w/ a 4.3L Merc and 14.3x21 prop, no fin. I have no issues getting/staying on plane, no porpoising or cavitation issues. Unfortunately I can't quote what my RPMs are b/c I rarely run WOT, but this weekend I'll make a note and get back to you.

I have a 2006 180FS w/ a 4.3L Merc and 14.3x21 prop, no fin. I have no issues getting/staying on plane, no porpoising or cavitation issues. Unfortunately I can't quote what my RPMs are b/c I rarely run WOT, but this weekend I'll make a note and get back to you.

Thanks so much! Sounds like I need to pull the fin and drop pitch to 21.

I have a 2005 180fs as well but with a 3.0L Merc. It came with a 14 1/4 x 19 pitch prop. I added the sting ray foil and changed the prop to a 17 inch pitch stainless steel prop to get a better start. I noticed a significant difference. Huge performance gains over the aluminum prop as well becuase of the 3.0L engine, the foil also helped driect the water. After this the boat's run great.