My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
waterdog

245 CR weight

Hi I am new to Monterey I own a 2004 245CR. I want to buy a boat trailer and have got conflicting weight for trailer GVWR. I have seen a weight of 6100# and 5800#, what trailer size do I buy? If anyone can help I would really like the help.

Thanks, Betty

Betty,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I just bought an '04 265 CR. According to the manual and everywhere I looked online, it weighs 6,000 lbs "dry" - no gas, water, "stuff"... Figuring closer to 7,200 lbs when fully loaded with gear and family, I had an aluminum tri-axle trailer built that's rated for 10,500 lbs. Probably a little overkill, but I just loaded it on Saturday for the first time and then drove 150 miles to get it home with no problems.

I chose aluminum primarily because I didn't want the trailer weight (1,200 lbs for mine, significantly more for steel) to force me into a bigger truck ('07 F150 with a 9,200 lb tow rating), and if I ever decide to put it in salt water, corrosion won't be as much of an issue. The rig drives quite comfortably, but I plan to add more brakes to the trailer. The trailer manufacturer only put brakes on one axle - something I should have asked about ahead of time and corrected. All in all, though, I'm happy with the trailer.

I figured overbuilding the trailer for weight seemed like a decent insurance policy for both it and the boat. Whatever you do, make sure you learn everything you can about a trailer before you buy it - especially if it's used.

Good luck; I hope this helps.

- Mike

I have a 2000 242 foot cruiser with a 5.7 GS Volvo engine with FWC, three batteries, one start and two house, with an SX duel prop out-drive, on a 2000 EZ Loader galvanized, duel axle trailer. Fully loaded with 70 gallons of gas, 20 gallons of water, 13" TV, cooking pans, food, cloths etc.. total weight 7300 lbs. including the trailer.

post-18916-131381750373_thumb.jpg While in the water and using the toilet that adds more weight. My holding tank is 20 gallons but I usually have it pumped out and only a gallon of water when the boat is on the trailer.Click on the picture to make it larger.

Thanks for the replies. I called the Monterey manufacture and they directed me to Pacific Trailers who then built a trailer made just for my 245CR. The boat fits perfect and loads very easy.

Waterdog