My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Sunrise 298

Switching Merc Controls to Gaffrig Style

So did any of the 298 SS boats come with Gaffrig style controls??

I don't hate the Merc shifters, it's just they're hard to finesse. How difficult would it be to make the conversion?

So did any of the 298 SS boats come with Gaffrig style controls??

I don't hate the Merc shifters, it's just they're hard to finesse. How difficult would it be to make the conversion?

Hi,

Do you have mercruiser DTS?

If yes, it is a simple process as everything is driven electrically, no solid cables are used to connect the controls to the motor/s

Mercruiser call it Zero Effort - DTS. They sell as kits with instructions, mounting templates, controls, cables etc

If you search for that online you will find lots of suppliers, forums etc.

They are pricey - a 2 engine setup is listed around the $1800 - $2000 mark (kit only, no labour to install)

If you currently have a mechanical cable setup, I don't know how you would go about it but suspect the biggest issue will be if you are able to use the same mechanical cables and connectors.

The gaffrig website does list a "mercruiser stern drive cable adaptor", so it might be a easy job, altough if you physically have to relocate the control position, I'm guessing you will need new cables and routing.

Contact them and see how helpful they may/may not be

Regards

Ian

Not terribly difficult to replace, but minimal gain for alot of $'s IMO.

Hi,

Do you have mercruiser DTS?

If yes, it is a simple process as everything is driven electrically, no solid cables are used to connect the controls to the motor/s

Mercruiser call it Zero Effort - DTS. They sell as kits with instructions, mounting templates, controls, cables etc

If you search for that online you will find lots of suppliers, forums etc.

They are pricey - a 2 engine setup is listed around the $1800 - $2000 mark (kit only, no labour to install)

If you currently have a mechanical cable setup, I don't know how you would go about it but suspect the biggest issue will be if you are able to use the same mechanical cables and connectors.

The gaffrig website does list a "mercruiser stern drive cable adaptor", so it might be a easy job, altough if you physically have to relocate the control position, I'm guessing you will need new cables and routing.

Contact them and see how helpful they may/may not be

Regards

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Mine are certainly NOT "zero effort" so I suspect they are cable driven...but honestly don't know. They take a little force to move them. They feel like they're cable driven, but I'm not at the lake currently to take a look. Every boat I've ever owned was cable driven, and other than not having a neutral lock, these feel like cables. A boat in this class/category is completely new to me this year. I agree, the cost to change out is probably not worth it but thought I would investigate. I've gotten used to them, just see others effortlessly clicking their controls when maneuvering to park...shifter envy. :D

My hull ID is RGFT0313F405. Perhaps M.O.S.T. can chime in on whether they were ever equipped this way or what my boat has?

Scott