My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
kitos

considering monterey 245 ???? Any thoughts....

I own a Monterey Montura 210 year 2000 and I'm considering a monterey 245 with 5.0 volvo penta. Any thoughts

Is the engine to small that size boat.

Any comments please.

thanks

I own a Monterey Montura 210 year 2000 and I'm considering a monterey 245 with 5.0 volvo penta. Any thoughts

Is the engine to small that size boat.

Any comments please.

thanks

Hello 'kitos':

I cannot comment on the 245CR however I can on the 250CR. I own a 2006 250CR with 350 MAG MPI Bravo III and love it. In looking at both boats I would say the two are similar if not the same. The 350 MAG is roughly 20 HP more than the 5.0 Volvo, and depending on what you are doing with the boat may determine if the 20HP difference is a factor. Top speed with my boat is 41nots and cruising is around 36nots which is most efficient. I believe the 250CR weights a little more however, you would have to know how and what options the 245CR you are looking at is equipped with to determine weight.

In either case, if the 245CR is in good condition hull wise and mechanically and the price is right, you cannot go wrong. The only suggestion I would have for you would be to go on a sea trial to see the different characteristics of a Small cruiser like the 245CR / 250 CR versus the Montura 210. The height versus the width on plane is something you need to experience and understand. I can say with proficient trim tab control it is nothing more than getting use to as all the other particulars in owning and operating a cruiser like the 245CR and 250CR.

Good luck in your decision and happy boating.

Alan

I will agree that the 5.0L is a good engine choice for the 245CR. It will do what it is intended for with little to no lack of power issues.