My Monterey
Murph

Trim Tabs

Has anyone added Bennett trim tabs to a 248 LS? I want to add them for better slow-speed operation, as the boat wants to "wander" left and right at slow speed. Also want them to decrease time-to-plane.

Sizing Guidelines would indicate that I should use the 24" x 9" tabs based on length. Problem is that the rear tie downs to the trailer are only about 6" from the transom, so there would be interference.

I could fit 18" tabs inboard of the tie downs, but I would think that could reduce the performance of the tabs.

Has anyone else run into a similar problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have an '07 248LS with Volvo-Penta 5.7GXi DP with the factory installed Bennett trim tabs. I don't recall the size but you might want to call Monterey in Williston Florida and inquire directly what they installed from the factory. Another option would be to call Bennett in Deerfield Beach, Florida or try their web site. I had a clilp that was broken and since I live near Deerfield Beach I just dropped in at the Bennett headquarters to see if I could purchase a new wire and clip. They were very polite and helpful and since I did not know what model Bennett system I had, they took out serveral manuals to identify the part I needed. Finally they gave me the part "no charge" and told me to come back if I ran into any other problems.

Has anyone added Bennett trim tabs to a 248 LS? I want to add them for better slow-speed operation, as the boat wants to "wander" left and right at slow speed. Also want them to decrease time-to-plane.

Sizing Guidelines would indicate that I should use the 24" x 9" tabs based on length. Problem is that the rear tie downs to the trailer are only about 6" from the transom, so there would be interference.

I could fit 18" tabs inboard of the tie downs, but I would think that could reduce the performance of the tabs.

Has anyone else run into a similar problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Murph,

The trim tabs will not fix the wandering left and right at slow speeds off plane that is how most stern drives will act at low speed off plane. What motor and drive do you have in your 248 LS seems the ones I have been on get up on plane pretty quick if it is proped right and has the right motor. Trim Tabs will decrease plane time a little.

My 248 LS is an '03 with the Mercury 350 Mag and Bravo 3 Sterndrive

I happened to meet another person over the summer who had a 248 LSC who had added tabs. They indicated it made a huge difference in performance, so I thought I would give them a shot. He had the same issues that I am having.

I can understand some "wandering", but what I get is excessive. Granted, I am not a seasoned boater (less than 3 yrs), but I have been on other boats that do not seem to have this issue.

Thanks for the post.

Hello Murph,

The bow steering or "wandering", (also called "tracking") is typical in a deep V hull design with a 20 degree or less deadrise such as yours. The boat will track back and forth on it's own when you are at idle speed, just try not to over correct it.

This same hull design and degree of deadrise also gives you the smooth ride, comfort and manuverability you enjoy while up on plane. Does the boat handle and perform satisfactory at speed on plane?

The trim tab factory option offered on the 248 model was a 12" x 9" Bennett Marine product and the part number was #62351000-00-TTAB. You can give them a call to find the nearest distributor to you at 954-427-1400.

Relax, enjoy...

Thanks for the info. I bought this boat used, so I was unaware of the factory installed option.

The boat handles fine on plane.

List to port is my issue! 2001 248 LS Open Bow new to me.

with full bench of guest, 2 batteries, Large cooler full of water, weight of the fiberglass head enclosure...how can it not list to the port?