My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
KAellis

Baffled about how to get Sirius service on my 2006 270

My wife and I purchased a 2006 270 this summer from the second owner of the boat.

We are considering subscribing to a Sirius XM account. However, I am a little puzzled.

When I first saw the boat I noticed there was a Sirius XM antenna on the radar arch. So I thought "great all we need to do is get the ID number off the unit, call Sirius and get the service started".

Based on what I have read I expected to be able to get the ESN / ID number off the head unit's display

But when I change the head unit from Tuner mode to Satellite mode all I see is the Sirius phone number scrolling across the screen. I called the number at Sirius and the lady there told me to change to channel "0" to get the ID. Of course I could not find any way to get it do display channel "0" no matter what button on the head unit I pushed.

So I called a local stereo shop and the guy there told me that a "Sirius Ready" stereo needs a tuner for it to display channel "0". So I assumed I needed to buy a tuner even though there is a pre-installed antenna.

Typically the tuners come with antennas. But I do not see any tuner anywhere, granted I have not done a real thorough search for it.

Now the kicker to all of this is that there is some Sirius paper work that I got from the previous owner that has a letter that came with the boat when the boat was delivered to the first owner in 2006.

The letter states that the boat manufacturer is providing 6 months free Sirius service.

If Monterey was providing this offer to the first boat buyer, then it stands to reason that there must be a tuner somewhere or the first owner would not been able to take advantage of the 6 month offer without having to purchase a tuner. The guy I bought it from never even looked into the Sirius since he only had the boat for 8 months so has no idea about the possibility of a tuner. The letter made no mention of the new owner needing to purchase anything additional to take advantage of the offer.

Because there is an antenna, I am naturally assuming there may be a tuner. But since I cannot get the head unit to display channel "0" or display the ID number maybe there isn't a tuner.

So would anyone know if Monterey would have included the tuner and where it could possibly be located? If the tuner is there what would I be doing wrong in trying to get the ID?

Or did Monterey install an antenna but not a tuner?

What am I missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is it the Kenwood radio? I have had several Sirius tuners and most units you just tune to 0. I had the same issue you had however when I tried to activate my radio. If it is reading please call then you have a tunner. I am sorry to say I cant remember exactly what I did to make it work but it was in the settings of the radio. Press menu or setup or something like that and there was a selection to view ESN number. It is kind of a pain since it scrolls but check it twice and you should be all set.

I FOUND IT TO BE ALOT EASIER TO GET A PORTABLE RECIEVER TO PUT IN MY BOAT THEN WHEN I GOT TO MY TRUCK I TOOK THE RECIEVER WITH ME THAT WAY YOU ONLY PAY FOR ONE SUBSCRIPTION

you can always remove the radio, look behind it and track the wire that plugs into the Sirius port. The wire is fairly short and will be connected to a silver and black box about 3 inches square. This is your tuner and the ESN will be on it.