My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
jetlagpat

Considering a 2006 Monterey 350SY

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I was hoping I could get some feedback. I'm in the process of doing a 6 feet upgrade and one of the boat I'm considering is a 2006 Monterey 350 SY. The boat itself is in good order and has been very well maintained and the boat is a fresh water only boat.

My concerns are arround the engines and drives option. The boat is equiped with 8.1 Volvo OSi-B with raw water cooling. The boat was also originally equiped with the infamous XPS drives, but both drives were replaced with DSP-A drives in the fall of 2011. The engines have approx 160 hrs.

Now everyone I know who has, or had, Volvo engines were all diesel or 8.1 GXI with closed cooling.

Does anyone has any comments to offer on the OSi serie engines? And how well do they work with the DSP-A drive?

Thank you

Pat...

The 8.1 gasser's are good engines, with the exception of known fuel pump problems on all Volvo engines in time. I'm sure you have read about the painted inside of the pumps, that peels off over time and caused pump failure. At about $1,000 per pump, it's not cheap to replace. So check and see if the pumps have been replaced, a 2006 is about due for failure. Thankfully the drives were replaced, you can't give a way a boat with the Ocean series composite drives on them. Dealers will not even talk trades if the boat

has those drives.

Based on what you have listed, I think you should be okay with this set up. Of course have the entire boat surveyed structurally and mechanically before you sign anything.