My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Changes In Latitudes

Losing Drive Lube

MOST -

I seem to be losing drive lube - topped it off again today and will monitor the upcoming week to see if it goes down. I see oily traces in the water in the bilge, but don't see any drive lube on leaking out the back of the drive unit itself. Any ideas? And do you know what the warranty is on the Mercruiser 190hp 4.3L? My 180FS is a 2005 & I'm the second owner. Hoping for the best.

MOST -

I seem to be losing drive lube - topped it off again today and will monitor the upcoming week to see if it goes down. I see oily traces in the water in the bilge, but don't see any drive lube on leaking out the back of the drive unit itself. Any ideas? And do you know what the warranty is on the Mercruiser 190hp 4.3L? My 180FS is a 2005 & I'm the second owner. Hoping for the best.

I've since discovered that the connection on the bottom of the reservoir was leaking - following the electrical wire sheathing down into the bilge (which is I why I couldn't find the source at first). Anybody else have this problem ever?

Had the same problem with my 2005 298sc....My configuration is a 2 drive mercruiser mag350 with bravo 3.....so I saw the green traces of lube oil in the bilges too. and looked and looked but did not find until I reached back and tugged on the drive oil resevoir lube lines, when I tugged on the right hand drive line it broke free at the transom.....seems it was cracked at a disconnect which is also a 90 degree feed...if you know what the transom plate looks like, the oil feed is a QD 90 just righ (starboard) and under the raw water line...which is right (starboard) of the drive line....this keeps it all clear from the steering arm...however, if its not routed just right around the steering arm on the left (port) of the arm and (in my case) dual steering link, it may be pulled by the linkage.

So in my case I pulled the 90 deg QD...halve off the transom and pulled the oil line out and replaced the QD and reattached and ziptied all so as to facilitate all movement of the steering mech. This is MUCH easier said then done....I had bruises on my chest and cuts on my arms for a week afterward. but saved the hundereds of dollars it would've cost to have the shop take care of .....got the part free from em too. I love my marina.

Note that there is one other quick disconnect betweed the transom connectiona and the resevoir bottle on the front and that connection is just at the back of the engine block.

This only applies to Mercruiser. I would pull the top plug on the drive and ensure oil comes out. just so you know the drive did not blow oil out and cavitate the drives oiling supply...... boat out of water for this one. i had to pay to pull the boat. and check but I am now confident good fix.

Oil resevoir level is stable now and bilges are cleaning up as I absorb oil.....2 weeks into on this date.

My best to you........