My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
munsters100

2006 Monterey 214FS Bow Rider Alpha One 5.0MPI

I just purchase a 2006 Monterey 214FS and I took it out this weekend for the first time. I love the boat. I did notice a vibration or cavitation between 2000 and 3000 RPMS on take offs. I have a 3 Blade Laser Mercruiser prop with a 23 degree pitch. After that it was as smooth as anyone could want. When pulling a skier and taking off full throttle it was not quite as noticeable but on slower take offs it was pretty obvious. I had the lower unit trimmed all the way down. Has anyone else encountered this? The boat looks like new and only has 21 hours on it and the prop is like new as well. Any help would be greatly appreciatted. Thanks in advance. <_<

Hello Munsters,

It is probably due to the torque of the prop/drive combination and the power of the MPI engine.

Here at the factory the standard prop on the 5.0MPI with an Alpha drive (1.62 gear ratio for sea level boating) was a 19 pitch aluminum. That was the Mercury recommendation for optimum cruising and not specifically for watersports. We have no performance test data with the prop you now have on the boat.

If the vibration continues have it checked out by a certified Mercury tech.

Hello Munsters,

It is probably due to the torque of the prop/drive combination and the power of the MPI engine.

Here at the factory the standard prop on the 5.0MPI with an Alpha drive (1.62 gear ratio for sea level boating) was a 19 pitch aluminum. That was the Mercury recommendation for optimum cruising and not specifically for watersports. We have no performance test data with the prop you now have on the boat.

If the vibration continues have it checked out by a certified Mercury tech.

On the info above = what is the diameter for the 19 pitch alum prop?

What diameter and pitch would you recommend for the above listed boat - 2006 214FS 5.0L MPI aplha one 1.62 gear ration - in an aluminum 4 blade prop?