My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
DWE

high pitched engine noise

I have a 2004 265 with a 5.7 Volvo GXi and all of a sudden this high pitched squeal or whistle started coming from an area in front of the motor. i had my mechanic come out and he told me that he was certain it was the high pressure fuel pump and volvo also recommended that he replace the anti-syphon valve. he did all of this and it the noise comes back when it reaches operating temp. any ideas as to the possible problem? thanks for any and all input.

David

Dave, Try changing the fuel filter. I had a 5.7 gsi that would whine when filter had about 20 hr on it water or sluge from ethenol fuel.. good luck

Thanks for input, but i did change the fuel filter. also i noticed that when i took the gas cap off, there was a tremendous amount of pressure in the tank. so then i started thinking that my gas tank vent was cloged up. i ran the boat at my dock with the gas cap off and when it got up to normal temp it still made the loud squeal sound. any other suggestions.

Thanks for input, but i did change the fuel filter. also i noticed that when i took the gas cap off, there was a tremendous amount of pressure in the tank. so then i started thinking that my gas tank vent was cloged up. i ran the boat at my dock with the gas cap off and when it got up to normal temp it still made the loud squeal sound. any other suggestions.

Dave, try taking belt off and see if noise stops dont run engine too long.. maybe belt or power stearing pump also cheak fuel cooler hose for good water flow.. good luck

Hi DWE,

I'm not a mechanic

Not sure if this will help but found similar comments on a fourwinns board http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3636

Based on those response and that from boatingbouy, sounds like its something in the fuel system

These engines have 2 fuel pumps. A low pressure pump sucks the fuel from the tank. A second high pressure pump is then used to supply the injection system. Seems it can come from either the high pressure pump or the low pressure pump or the filter

You said you have replaced the high pressure pump, what about low pressure pump and filter?

The 3rd post from the top has a link for the fuel components for a 1999 5.7 Gi / GSi motor. I don't know if it is the same as your year model.

It seems unusual that it only does it once the temperature has reached operating range but others have reported it takes a while for the sound to develop.

I wouldn't be concerned about the "pressure" in your fuel tank. The "rush" of pressure you experienced when you removed the gas cap is probably just temperature of the air inside the tank warming and expanding. If your high pressure pump was "blowing back", I suspect you'd be having a LOT more troubles than just squeeling.

I used to have a 5.0 GXi on another brand of boat but never had any issues with it other than an impellor failure in the seawater pump (engine overheating when over 3000rpm)

Hopefully this assists

Ian

The pressure

Boating Boy and Ian, thanks for the suggestions and I will try both and will update this thread once i do. thanks again and safe and happy boating.

Boating Boy and Ian, thanks for the suggestions and I will try both and will update this thread once i do. thanks again and safe and happy boating.

DWE, check fuel filter housing for paint coming off coud be source of noies

For what it is worth, it was the low pressure pump which was what i was hoping to avoid as they just raised the price from around $500 to $800.00. runs great now. thanks for those who responded.

Hi David,

OUCH! Isn't boating fun? - lol

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out - not too many do

Regards

Ian