My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
180FS in Nashville

Bass tube install

I'm not one of these people who feel the need to provide music for the entire cove, but I would like to add a little needed low end sound to my stereo and am wondering how a self-container bass tube would work. I don't have the need or desire for separate subs, amps and component speakers, just looking for a little extra bottom sound. Has anyone done this? If so, how was the result?

This is what I'm looking at getting:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/210-HIi3PpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thoughts?

I'm not one of these people who feel the need to provide music for the entire cove, but I would like to add a little needed low end sound to my stereo and am wondering how a self-container bass tube would work. I don't have the need or desire for separate subs, amps and component speakers, just looking for a little extra bottom sound. Has anyone done this? If so, how was the result?

This is what I'm looking at getting:

http://ecx.images-am...L500_AA300_.jpg

Thoughts?

Does it help catch bass?

(sorry - I couldn't help myself)

Regards

Does it help catch bass?

(sorry - I couldn't help myself)

Regards

Hi Ian

Most likely it has no affect on attracting Bass. Though, this weekend I could have drawn a diagram of a similar installation on hook nearby, removed the offensive noise maker and gladly shipped it off to 180FS in Nashville with my compliments. BTW, Ian how's boating life down under, you guys are always entertaining.

Cheers

Alan

I just completed a full amp & sub woofer install this weekend. Figured I would at least give you some thoughts even though I did a full amp and 12" Polk Audio enclosure under the helm seat in my 298SS.

Bottom line when in the boat, the bass is downright amazing! I mean it will rattle the fiberglass. But, once you leave the boat while coving out and floating, even that much bass is almost lost. It's weird, the boat and the water must dampen it. Like you, I was setting out to just improve the sound for ME while underway and get it a little louder for us while we are coved. At Lake of the Ozarks you will never be the loudest in the cove unless you spend a LOT of $$ making it happen. But I have to say, just adding that $120 MB Quart amp and Polk sub ($77 shipped on ebay) the sound level and quality has improved big time, even with the stock speakers mounted down low. Next I'm adding 4 Kicker 6200's to the arch and get the sound higher up.

So, get the biggest you can get. Read the reviews on the bazooka tubes, they're not bad at all. But as I said, it doesn't really translate to the water when coving out all that well.

Hi Ian

Most likely it has no affect on attracting Bass. Though, this weekend I could have drawn a diagram of a similar installation on hook nearby, removed the offensive noise maker and gladly shipped it off to 180FS in Nashville with my compliments. BTW, Ian how's boating life down under, you guys are always entertaining.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

It's winter here - but not like winters in the north of the US and Canada (thankfully)

Temperatures (near Sydney) typically range from 5C overnight to 18C during the day (40F - 65F)

One of the best times of the year for boating - magical early morning mists - and less crowds. Sometimes I'm the only boat in a bay.

This time of the year there can be some BIG swells off the coast - so mostly rivers and bays

Still get the die hard fishos going past at 4am in their little tinnies and old 2 strokes - maybe they're going bass tubing?

Regards

Ian