My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Cool Hand Luke

12V Oil Changer

I am the new owner of a 2008 194 FS (5.0 MPI Merc). Does anyone have any experience with those 12V oil changer pumps? They range in price from $20.00 to $120.00. If you do use them, which one? I would rather change the oil myself, than have to haul the boat back to dealership for every oil change.

Thank you.

Cool Hand Luke

I am the new owner of a 2008 194 FS (5.0 MPI Merc). Does anyone have any experience with those 12V oil changer pumps? They range in price from $20.00 to $120.00. If you do use them, which one? I would rather change the oil myself, than have to haul the boat back to dealership for every oil change.

Thank you.

Cool Hand Luke

I just bought one from West Marine and will be using it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

CHL:

I bought this one:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...mp;classNum=170

I used it this weekend and it worked ok. Don't believe that you'll change the oil in 5 minutes though. I didn't want to warm the engine so I pumped the oil out cold and it still did ok. I had to pump it every so often for it to keep suction. It was nice that you could do other stuff to the boat while this thing was removing the oil. I removed (including the filter) about 5 to 5.5Qts from my 5.7L GXI engines so it got the biggest part of the oil. I don't think it's a great unit, but not bad either given the price of it compared to others.

Thank you.

Cool Hand Luke

On my 5.0 MPI, there is an oil drain hose. With the boat on the trailer, this can be run through the garboard drain plug hole, remove the drain hose plug and let the oil drain into a suitable container. Years ago I had a cruiser (no trailer) and use a pump that attached to a drill - somehow it was always a messy job.

I bought the fancy West Marine electric oil changer for about $120 last year to change the oil on my 2005 Mercruiser 350MAG MPI BR3 300HP 5.7 Liter engine. I used it once and found that it didn't suck out all of the oil from the oil pan (I know what I'm doing- heated the oil up properly and seated the suction tube as far as possible into the dipstick tube). I returned the unit and bought the Mercruiser part number 802889Q hand pump for $38.95 (here's a link to the Mercruiser website: http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/us/cran...-pump-p15.html), since I noticed a threaded "hose" fitting right at the top of the dipstick tube. The hand unit did the job much better, more quickly, although requiring a bit of physical energy. If you're changing the oil yourself, you probably don't mind the exercise anyway! I love gadgets, but the simple hand pump is superior.