My Monterey
jimp

Boat Coming out of Hibernation

My 2003 248LSC has been stored for the last three years due to summer overseas travel plans. I am bringing it out of hibernation this month.

The boat was winterized properly by the Monterey dealer before it was stored three years ago. I will be bringing it back to the dealer for spring commissioning but I would like to know what are some of the things that I should have them look at, given the extended time it has sat unused. Should I worry about steering and throttle cables, wiring and pumps etc?

The boat has been used in fresh water except for its first year (2004) so salt should not be a wear and tear factor, however, I want to make sure that anything affected by extended time of non use is at least checked to make sure there are no issues.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Jim

First, welcome home.

Second, make adjustments on your insurance policy if your finances have changed

Engines and Fuel Systems

• Inspect fuel lines for brittleness or cracking.

• Clean and tighten both ends of the battery cables. Check the battery water level.

• Check fuel tanks, fuel pumps, filters and cooling hoses for any leaks.

Trailers

• Inspect tires and sidewalls for cracks and check air pressure.

• Check/ replace bearings and repack as needed as these tend to run dry after repeated exposure to water and long term storage.

• Check lights on trailer and boat

Before Launching

• Examine the prop for dings etc. and the hull for cracks.

. Check your Zinc

• With your boat still on the trailer confirm your bilge pump is working and any valves are closed

Before leaving Home

• Check expiration dates on flares and fire extinguishers.

• Inspect ropes and lines for chaffing or rot

• Update or replace old charts and waterway guides.

• Make sure your boating registration is up-to-date and current stickers attached

. Replace batteries in flashlights, smoke detector etc.

Finally, given it was winterized properly by a certified dealer that you trust, I see no reason that they wouldn't have a through list of (to do's) in bringing the boat out of hibernation.

Best wishes for a fun and safe boating season

Good advice that I have seen on another board before. Curious why a Shamrock boat owner is posting on a Monterey Boats owner's site ?

Glad you felt the urge to share some of your knowledge. Whatever the motivation.

Hi there

If it was me, i make a good revision on the engine, all oils out, filters out, change cables like mercury normally do after X hours, check the impeler, also change the valvoline on the unit.

Then start the engine outside water, don´t forget to check or change, How you say this in english.... there is 1 or 2 bracelets maybe is this word, that goes from your engine wheel to water pump and also charge your batteries, normally they need change from time to time, like your engine on the car, also ask the mercury guy to check the ( coletores), this is 2 things that make exaust to the water, dont know the exact word in english.

There are also 1 things that can think your boat, like a long death, you just see it on next day, is where our unit connects to the engine, in salt water some animals gets in there and just crack it when you pull up or down the unit and starts to get water in it when i change all cables this is also change by mercruiser dealer, like is recomemded by mercury.

I change all this from 2 to 2 years, and the engine exaust from 5 to 5 because i have a seacore engine.

Insert fresh water where you pumps are, just to see if the automatics are working. Even on fresh water, change the zyncs.

Switch on all your eletricity on the boat, check all lights, fuses etc...,

This is if was I, i wouldn´t check i would change them anyway, for me the worst thing is to go with fammily on some trip and the engine fails so maybe i´m just too paranoid with engine reviews, but after 7 years with a 278 ssc never have any problem with the engine, and myne is all year on the salt water.

Yesterday i was with the mercruiser dealer to see the work on the engine, and like he says the engine appears brand new.

Best Regards

Hope I helped