My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Rip5

MOST Help Request 2005 282 CR

We are considering a 2005 282. It had a survey yesterday, and there is a lengthy laundry list. And I have some questions that need to be answered before we decide if this particular boat is one we want.

The previous owner took the factory inverter out, and messed up the wiring. He apparently hooked up the Air Conditioning to the Line 2 breaker so that it could be used. We do not need an inverter, and want it re-wired as was done from the factory without an inverter. I assume this can be done, but will there be any issues on that circuit in the future?

I see there is a factory installed cable TV coax outlet in the lazarette/trunk. Is this wired through the inverter (no longer there) and then routed to the (Sharp LCD) TV ? Since the inverter is gone, will the coax connection in the cabin be useable for plugging in the TV to cable TV from the dock source ? I realize the TV will not work on DC power, and that is okay with me. But, I want to know if anything needs to be done to be able to plug the TV in and have it work with the coax connection in the cabin/galley. Or, is the coax connection in the galley just wired to the old style antenna on the arch ?

Do batteries physically need to be in the boat to have the refridgerator work on shore power ? There are no batteries currently in the boat, and the surveyor could not get the fridge to come on with the breaker switch or control on the fridge itself.

There are a few other issues I have questions about, but will wait for the final survey report before I ask.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hello Rip5,

I have a 2006 282 and have been told by Monterey that a factory inverter was never offered on this model.....not sure exactly what the previous owner took out. As far as cable, I would think that you'd be all set as even if the boat had an inverter, the cable would not go through it. Depending on what Sharp TV you have, it could already be hooked up to DC (12V)....I know mine is.

As far as the fridge, as long as the 115v breaker is in the on position, it should work.

Good luck....if you want me to take any pictures of certain areas, let me know....I would tend to think the 2005 & 2006 are very similar.

Dan

By the way, my air conditioner is factory wired to shore power #2.

Thanks for the info Dan. Our breaker panel even has a factory switch for the inverter, so I assume it was an option, not positive though. The surveyor said the Air should be wired to power #2, but was not. So that is being fixed so that it is wired properly.

The surveyor confirmed that the factory cable is connected like you said, I just need to plug into shore cable and connect to the TV, and we will have cable TV on the boat at the dock. This will be something new for us, as we just had rabbitt ears and 2 channels on our previous boat.

We are getting closer to closing on this boat deal, and am looking forward to a successful sea trial. After that, I'm sure I will have plenty of questions to ask.

Thanks for your help, and keep your camera handy, I may ask you for some pictures someday. smile.gif

Hello Rip5,

An inverter was not a factory option on the 282 Cruiser.

As for the "creative wiring" done on the boat, it might be a good idea to use a certified marine electrician to figure out what is what.

Thanks. The marina tech is re-wiring back to factory spec this week. Should be good to go then.

Batteries are being installed also, so 12V systems can all be checked and verified.

Cable is wired to the cabin from the factory, so we just need to hook it up at the slip.

Thanks again for the information/help.