My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
patterson

Question for MOST - Gelcoat & Antifoul

Dear MOST, I have a 2009 290CR in Melbourne Australia moored in saltwater all year round that so far has had no additional coatings applied over the original gelcoat. The boat was first launched in Feb this year and initially I decided to try out an ultrasonic antifouling device which didn't work out so now I am having the boat hauled out to have an antifoul coating applied.

The shipwrights doing the work are telling me that they need to first seal the gelcoat and drives with a 2 part epoxy as gelcoat is not totally waterproof after which they will apply 2 coats of Trilux 33 to the hull and drives.

Is it true that I should need to seal the original gelcoat before applying the antifoul? and Does anyone have an opinion on the effectiveness of Trilux 33 in white?

Thankssmile.gif

They do have to "seal" the gel coat. That is called a barrier coating. Then 3 coats minimum of Trilux33 should be applied. The white Trilux looks good at first, but any growth and all stains are more noticeable than on a black bottom paint.

There is a very good website to learn about bottom painting: www.yachtpaint.com it is a great place to start any research.