My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
argonaut

Just an Introduction - my first Monterey

I made a few ‘question’ posts, as I was making my mind up what to buy – Monterrey was one of the options (never having owned one)

I am in the Great Britain and getting a Monterey is not so easy – the dealer closed down over a year ago, but I found a nice model in Northern Ireland.

A 194fs (now called a 204fs) 2010 model … been laid up in dry storage for over a year … and best part only 5Hrs on the engine.

It’s a 4.3L MPI and fitted with a 20” 4 blade prop.

I plan to put a Tower on it, more than likely a Monster MTk.

It will be used for wake-boarding, knee-boarding & water-skiing and particularly for me Hydrofoiling..... I love my SkySki. :)

post-24671-0-37745500-1354576661_thumb.jpg

Congrats. We have a 204 FS and love it. You will have alot of fun with your 194 FS.

I am looking at a 2007 194fs with the 4.3 190hp engine. I think I saw in another post that is what you have. Every review I have found is testing the 5.0. How do you like the 4.3? Is it adequate for watersports?

Thanks!

Derek

I am looking at a 2007 194fs with the 4.3 190hp engine. I think I saw in another post that is what you have. Every review I have found is testing the 5.0. How do you like the 4.3? Is it adequate for watersports?

Thanks!

Derek

I have had V8's but you need to go for 5.7 otherwise the benefit of the 5.0L over 4.3L is lost due to extra weight.

Some years ago with a 4.3 carb version maybe it would not have been enough .... but on a 19' bowrider, 4.3 MPI is certainly up to it.

OK if you want one footed deep water starts on a mono ski, you need to have a High Five prop, but for runabout use .... and for me recreational skiing, wakeboarding & SkySki ... a 4.3 MPI is more than capable, can still pass 50mph - with significanatly reduced running costs over V8 (and purchase price)

In UK where I boat ... V8's are not popular on runabouts fuel price is very high. £1.40 per Litre ... which is equiv to $7.99 per US gall

Just a couple facts from the performance sheets on the Monterey website re-garding the 4.3L vs. 5.0L

Gallons per hour at cruise (35mph) 4.3L MPI V6 = 9.0

Gallons per hour at cruise (36mph) 5.0L MPI-C V8 = 9.7

Speed Range @ Max RPM

4.3L MPI V6 = 46-50 mph

5.0L MPI V8 = 51-55 mph

So the facts do support slightly better fuel economy at cruise with the V6, but .7 gph is really not a big difference, even at high "petrol" prices.

Having tested both the V6 and the V8 in new 204FS models, the V8 was noticeably stronger, and was without a doubt faster at top end. In our

tests, we hit 49 mph at WOT with the V6 equipped boat, and 55 mph at WOT with the V8. We chose the V8 204FS.

The V6 is totally adequate for most all uses in the 194FS/204FS, but we felt the extra performance, with minimal difference in fuel economy was

a no brainer for us. Either way, it's a great boat overall, and either engine should be fine for you.