My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
SHALYN

2006 234fs Engine Swap ??

I have a 2006 Monterey 234fs with a 5.0L gxi engine. Can I put in a 5.7l, or 6.2L or a 8.1L engine in boat?? Will everything match up?? Do these engines come with all the computers, sensors, fuel injection and ignition system attached?? (drop in and run??) The 5.0L is supposed to be 260 HP - tops out at 40 mph. I was open one of these other engines will give me 320 hp or more. Is there a good place to get new or good rebuilt engines for marine??? Thanks a ton, Glenn

5.7GXi will fit. NOT a drop in and run. You will need additional parts.

So, is a 10K+ out of pocket expense for the motor, and another 1 or 2K for installation worth 7 -8 more mph ?

If so, check with DougRussel, they have motors. To me, it's a complete waste of money, buy a new Monterey with 8.1L.

I have a 2006 234fsx with a 350MAG MPI which is supposed to produce 300 HP. This would be the same size block as yours (GM small block). I think there is a 383 (6.2L) small block that is also a small block that is supposed to produce 350 HP.

Given how tight it is to work on this engine in the crammed engine compartment our boat has, I do not recommend going to a big block - even if it does manage to fit. It would also add more weight to the back of the boat. An 8.2L would be a big block.

You will want to check with the engine supplier to make sure everything you need will be there. Different suppliers provide different configurations. However, the blocks for the 5.0, 5.7, and 6.2 should be basically the same.

You may also need to consider the horsepower limits of your outdrive. My 350MAG came with a Bravo 3 outdrive.

You have more issues than HP if you only get 40mph at WOT. Should hit 50mph easily. 51.3 with a 6.2L (largest offered)

Read this article/test on the 234FS/FSX. Then start looking for a Monterey with a Big Block already installed if 50mph is not fast enough.

https://www.boats.com/reviews/go-boating-boat-test-monterey-234-fsx/

I appreciate all your info.. I will just keep my 5.0 L - its alot cheaper obtion... I am not sure why my boat tops out at 40 mph, everything points that i should get close to 50 mph - the boat runs great though. Glenn