My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
SeaHope

2005 282 cr - switches inside electrical cockpit inspection hatch?

Hi all,

I recently bought my first boat and had a few minor engine issues with it which just goes to show that low useage engines (<100 hours) can be troublesome. The latest is that the port Yanmar 240 hp engine won't start. I think this is down to a broken starter solenoid and I am trying to find where to get one from in the UK. I have a part number but that isn't helping me on Google (2768101-A). Whilst diagnosing the problem I looked in the electrics inspection hatch in the cockput and noticed two quite large switches and just wondered what they are for? Wiring on the boat seems pretty complex with lot of opportunities for salt water to work its corrosive magic. Getting access to the port starter engine has literally left me covered in bruises on my back so there is a good reason marine mechanics are young and lean smile.gif

Apart from the frustration of not being able to use my new (to me) Monterey 282, I think the boat is great and I am hoping that the weather this Spring/Summer will let us really enjoy our boat and build our skills.

Newbie mistake number one for us was not realising that an engine was in gear and therefore refused to start unsure.gif Trying to finger berth for the first time with only one engine against a breese strong enough to prevent 3 point turns was a good test of character biggrin.gif I needed to reverse it in, jump off and pull it in with ropes.

Regards

Seahope

Hello Seahope,

Is it possible to attach a photo of those "electrical switches" in the inspection hatch? Not sure what you are describing and a photo would be a big help.

Speaking about switches...I get my 282 on Friday...how do I turn on the two lights in the engine bay????

Speaking about switches...I get my 282 on Friday...how do I turn on the two lights in the engine bay????

There is a switch right next to the cockpit light switch for the engine room lights. It's one of the horizontal switches under the steering wheel.

Dan

Thank you very much! I really appreciate all the help I get from this site!

Hello Seahope,

Is it possible to attach a photo of those "electrical switches" in the inspection hatch? Not sure what you are describing and a photo would be a big help.

Sorry for the delay.

post-16089-1277572821183_thumb.jpg

Hello Seahope,

From the simple process of trial and error I have found what they do. They turn off the engine warning buzzers.

Hi Seahope

Be very careful !!!!!

Warning buzzers are fitted for a reason and it is most unusual to be allowed to just switch them off.

The buzzers indicate something is wrong. Whilst some engine circuits might allow you to "reset" them for a short period of time, no manufacturer would ever let you simply turn them off permanently. Think of the liability issues they would face if something went wrong.

It is unlikely to be part of any factory installation by either Monterey or your engine manufacturer. If it was, it would be mounted on a proper board with labels.

My advice is to go to an authorised engine repair shop and have it investigated.

It could be dangerous and is akin to using a steel nail in a fuse block because the thin wire fuse keeps blowing

Also, I wasn't aware Monterey fitted Yanmar deisels.

I have seen Volvos and Cummins (Mercruiser).

I would ask Monterey direct (give them your HIN) and they will tell you what it left the factory with.

Be safe

Ian

Hi Seahope

Be very careful !!!!!

Warning buzzers are fitted for a reason and it is most unusual to be allowed to just switch them off.

The buzzers indicate something is wrong. Whilst some engine circuits might allow you to "reset" them for a short period of time, no manufacturer would ever let you simply turn them off permanently. Think of the liability issues they would face if something went wrong.

It is unlikely to be part of any factory installation by either Monterey or your engine manufacturer. If it was, it would be mounted on a proper board with labels.

My advice is to go to an authorised engine repair shop and have it investigated.

It could be dangerous and is akin to using a steel nail in a fuse block because the thin wire fuse keeps blowing

Also, I wasn't aware Monterey fitted Yanmar deisels.

I have seen Volvos and Cummins (Mercruiser).

I would ask Monterey direct (give them your HIN) and they will tell you what it left the factory with.

Be safe

Ian

Ian, don't worry I don't have a buzzer going which I wanted to silence. I just wondered what the switches did and I have left them both in the on position.

My boat was fitted with two 240hp Yanmar 4HLAs by Monterey's UK dealer as the original owner wanted more power than the normal diesel engine offerings. These can get the boat up to 33knots+ although owing to diesel prices in the UK (round $10 a gallon) I don't go WOT for very long or undertake very long cruises. Gas (petrol) prices in the UK is about 30% more so few people in the UK are rich/mad enough to install them and not all marinas supply it. The engines comprise a large % of the value of my boat so I know I need to take good care of them. When I bought the boat the engines had only done around 100 hours and I aim to double that by the end of my first season :) I've had a few minor teething issues with the engines primarily due to under use I think.

If anyone can tell me how to get hold of a reasonably priced low oil pressure sender which 'drives' the the alarm buzzer I would appreciate it as I have been told it will cost around $300 for the part in the UK :angry: The oil pressure gauge itself is fine so this isn't a priority repair for me, especially at that price.

Thanks.

Seahope