My Monterey
DC Dave

Considering a 2000 262 Cruiser

Hi all-

I'm looking to upgrade to a slightly larger cruiser from my 20 year old Chaparral Signature 23. I found a 2000 Monterey 262 Cruiser with a newly rebuilt 7.4 Merc. Looking for some guidance on it's performance. I'm not very familiar with Monterey, but it seems to be a good vessel. I haven't water-tested it yet because the boat is currently winterized.

With the recently rebuilt engine and a price of 21k, it seems like a solid deal. I'm curious as to the performance of these boats. I'll be using it in the Chesapeake bay and rivers around the bay for weekend overnights, friends, docking at restaurants, and some tubing. The 7.4 should be powerful for all these activities. How does this hull design handle 3-4 ft. waves in rougher water?

Are Monterey owners happy with the fit and finish of the cabin? This is a 12 year old vessel so now is when the fit and finish and build quality will either shine or show serious wear and start to fall apart. Looking for any input from current owners. If you're a current owner of a 262, I'd love to hear a brief bit about your experience.

Thanks all!

Dave

Just like yourself, my wife and I are switching from a Chaparral to a Monterey. We are going to a 1998 322 from a 1995 Signature 31. There is not a big difference in size, however we like the layout much better, and it has a few features that are lacking in the Chaparral. The fit and finish of the Monterey seems every bit as good as the Chaparral, if not better.

Hope that helps you decide.

Dave,

We own a 2002 262 and absolutely love it. We purchased it in 2003. She looks as good today as she did when we purchased her, but that goes with hand in hand with detailed cleaning after each use. Originally purchased in Jacksonville, we cruzed the St. Johns and the ICWW doing exactly what you described above. We've slept 6 (two small kids at the time) but it was cramped.

Another advantage is the easy to trailer and tow. Big enough to enjoy yet small enough to take anywhere without a permit or significat effort.

Ours came with a 5.7 MERC and I personally think it was underpowered (just under 300 hp). The original engine was repaced this past Jan with a MERC 383 stroker (350 hp). NOTE - I maintained the original Bravo 3 outdrive wiht original props. The extra 50 hp gave me a significant increase in performance. With 6 adults and a full bag of gas I was on plane in 10 second with a top speed of 51 (yes that is correct - 51MPH!). I was barely able to get her to 40 before. Alone I averaged 5 seconds to get on plane. The increased performance is simply amazing.

The 7.4 will give you the performace you need - no question. However, make sure you have a compression test done and a seatrial BEFORE you purchase.

On a side note, I was pleased to find she was also prewired for a windless which I just installed.

Overall, a great boat at a great price. We love our Monterey.

I'd be happy to answer any additional questions.

v/r

Erik

Tampa,FL

We have a 2000 242 CR with a Volvo Penta 5.7 GS engine. The fit and finish are fine. I'd like a bit more room in the engine bay. It was raw water cooled but I changed that and added FWC. The heat exchanger took up more room that I thought it would. I have to loose weight so I can stop getting stuck between the heat exchanger and the bulkhead. :)

I would like more storage spaces like some draws around the frig and under the sink. Also some storage in the head but besides those two things my wife and I really enjoy the boat. We spend a couple of weeks in the San Juan Islands and Canada. I've run into some heavy seas going to Friday Harbor and also had an emergency and had to return to Port Townsend from Victoria Canada during small craft warnings and the sea looked like it was boiling. You couldn't tell where the waves were coming from. We were hit by one wave and the water splashed up onto the windshield once. Other than that one splash the boat road well and the seas were pretty rough. We were crossing the Straights of San Juan.

We also cruise the Columbia River here in Oregon salmon fishing.

You'll enjoy the 26, there's plenty of room for you and yours and I'm sure it's a very good riding and safe boat.

Just to update-

I went ahead and purchased the Monterey. Love it. As with any used boat, it had a few issue. I replaced the remote search light on the bow, installed a couple new bilge pumps- One under the cabin step and one in the engine compartment. I'm really happy with the performance. It jumps up on plane and really has a comfortable deck configuration.

I had her out in some 3-4 foot chop on the Chesapeake a couple weekends ago. It did very well- It was tricky finding that magic balance between speed, engine trim, trim tabs and wave running, but it did very will with a few good splashes on deck. My Captain skills were tested for sure.

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on where the inch -2 inch water in the engine bilge is coming from? I read on another forum that maybe the water is coming in around the anchor locker or maybe I need to install some of those valves in the outlets on the bow?

Other than a little annoying bilge water, it seems to be doing well.

Cheers!

Just to update-

I went ahead and purchased the Monterey. Love it. As with any used boat, it had a few issue. I replaced the remote search light on the bow, installed a couple new bilge pumps- One under the cabin step and one in the engine compartment. I'm really happy with the performance. It jumps up on plane and really has a comfortable deck configuration.

I had her out in some 3-4 foot chop on the Chesapeake a couple weekends ago. It did very well- It was tricky finding that magic balance between speed, engine trim, trim tabs and wave running, but it did very will with a few good splashes on deck. My Captain skills were tested for sure.

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on where the inch -2 inch water in the engine bilge is coming from? I read on another forum that maybe the water is coming in around the anchor locker or maybe I need to install some of those valves in the outlets on the bow?

Other than a little annoying bilge water, it seems to be doing well.

Cheers!

I get water in mine too and I don't have any idea where it's coming from. The anchor locker has two holes in the bow that it drains from. I removed the stern drain plug and the metal that it screws into. I cleaned everything up and resealed it and I still end the day with water in the bilge. It isn't a lot of water but it's till water!

I just became a Monterey 262 owner. I have 2 questions. First. the storage area by the cooler/ wet bar. What do other users end up using it for? Second. Where can I replace the door to the cooler? It is showing wear, rust and other issues.

Had it out for the first time today, in our July heat wave in Oregon. So nice to be on the water. I moved up from a 19 ft runabout. What a nice change.

Kirk congrats on your new Monterey, I have a K1, 262 also and I love my boat. Mine does not have the wetbar cooler any more, we took the entire thing out and discard and made a nice door with hinges and lock for it. Works great lots of room for the Magma grill, and a bucket with rope and extra anchor.

Enjoy!