My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Peter T

Visibility from helm of 262

I am curious if anyone else finds the visibility from the Monterey 262 helm a bit challenging? I am 6' 1" but kept finding myself more comfortable sitting on a cushion to raise up a bit while seated. I ended up removing the bench seat and adding a wooden frame to raise the seat 3 or 4 inches on my 2001 model. I have enjoyed this and it works well. Otherwise I am very happy with the boat and would certainly go back to Monterey for future boats. I have not tried other later Monterey models to compare.

I am just 5' 2" and pilot a 2007 270, basically the same helm configuration as your 262.

This boat has a high deck and coupled with a helm that is not raised, has bruttal sight lines if one attempts to sit. (In my case, I built a platform to raise the standing area by 6"). Ask at your marina and you should find that they can raise the seat by placing it on a slider rail, giving you extra height and variable distance from the wheel. Just remember that the seat behind you gets raised at the same time.

As for other models, I take delivery of a 290 in a week or so. They too have the classic Monterey high deck profile, but unlike the 270, have a raised helm, which for someone of my stature works exceptionally well . . . standing or sitting. I am having a slider rail installed.

Hope this helps.

I stand almost 100% of the time while steering, I am 6' even, I love being able to see everything happening around me, I am very fond of the tilt steering and fold up/back seat on helm...